Monday, May 4, 2009

new and old


I have always been drawn towards old or antique furniture, objects, etc. It's in my blood and was around it as a child going antiquing with my mother at a small age. Lots of great memories. But when I married an architect things swayed a bit more modern. I was out of my comfort zone for awhile and learned to appreciate it through him and while working for a interior designer - they both taught me lots about clean lines and the simplicity of forms, which I now love more than anything. So at our house I try to blend the two and sometimes things get out of balance - too much of one look. I quite like it to make a more sparse look feel more homey with an older piece whether it's a vintage lamp, artwork, print, basket for books, table, etc. I came across this mixing old and new article that had some great tips. There is not a right or wrong obviously but putting your personal stamp on what you love in your home - a reflection of you (colors, patterns, materials).

1 comment: